DICKENS PLAY PROJECT ANNOUNCEMENT
Soon, we will kick off our 2020 Dickens Play Project based on Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. The end result will be a play written, workshopped and performed by our community.
Here’s what to expect as we venture into the holiday season:
- Between now and Sept. 15 we will be accepting writing samples from anyone interested in being a part of the writing team. Dickens Play Project Writers Submission Form.
- Writers will be notified on Sept. 18 and will begin working on the script via Google Meet at the guidance of the head writer the week of Sept. 20, delivering a first draft of the script on Friday, Oct. 9.
- On Sunday, Oct. 11, we will enter the workshop phase of the Dickens Play Project. We will send a call out to readers to read one of five drafts of the script to allow the writers to hear the show and make adjustments. The final reading of the draft will be held on Sunday, Oct. 25. All readings will be held via Google Meet.
- When the final script is approved using current COVID data, we will determine if the auditions, rehearsals and performance phases will be digital or live.
- Auditions for the performances will be on Tuesday, Oct. 27 and Wednesday, Oct. 28.
- Rehearsals will begin the week of Nov. 1 and will be held for 4 weeks (with the week of Thanksgiving off).
- Whether staged or digital, we will present our Dickens Play Project in December leading up to the Christmas holiday.
For those of you unfamiliar with the Coaster Theatre’s history and our annual Dickens play, the fall of 1973 brought a gas crunch that left Cannon Beach wanting for visitors. Vicki Hawkins, then owner of the Cannon Beach Gazette, developed the idea of a Dickens theme with window decorations, food and costumes for the entire community at Christmas. Vicki came up with the motto, “The Low Lights will be the Highlights of Cannon Beach.” She said the town was a natural for a Dickens theme – the shopkeepers dressed in clothing of the Dickens era; the kids wore wool caps, scarves, and leggings.
In keeping with the Dickens theme, the community decided to put on a Dickens play. The Dickens play became an annual tradition welcoming generations of North Coast families both on and off stage to the Coaster Theatre during the holiday season.
Since March 13, 2020, the Coaster Theatre Playhouse has been dormant as we navigate this unprecedented global pandemic. During that time we have focused on a few projects that have been on our to-do list for a while (website refresh, launching our Instagram account, and some administrative projects) and reevaluating ways to be creative while keeping our community safe.
Our 2020 Dickens Play Project will bring us back to our roots and allow our theatre community to come together for the holiday season. It will energize the theatre by engaging our volunteers and providing patrons our annual holiday performance.
As is the case with everything in our world these days, please know that our plans are subject to change as we keep up to date on the latest directives from the federal, state and local governments and work to provide a safe environment for our performers, patrons and staff.
We want to thank everyone for supporting us during this unprecedented time. We have missed our community and are looking forward to stretching our creative muscles this holiday season and bringing a bit of joy to our community.